What to do with all those egg whites that are left over from making a custard ice cream? How about some Meringue cookies.
It is not hard to make but it is a bit time consuming due to the oven time.
This recipe as listed below will make about a quart and a half of ice cream.
- 4 large egg whites (1/2 cup)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup of sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon of Cream of tartar
- 1 pinch of Kosher salt
Directions, watch the video or follow the text below.
Preheat the oven to 250DegF
- Let the egg whites sit out for about 30 minutes to bring them to room temperature. It will be easier to dissolve the sugar.
- Add the egg whites, vanilla, cream of tartar and salt to a bowl.
- Mix until the mixture is foamy. A stand mixer will work great here, put it on medium speed.
- Run the mixer on high and slowly add sugar, one spoon at the time, making sure it is dissolved before adding more.
- Keep mixing on high until the mixture is stiff and glossy. About 5 minutes.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Transfer the mixture to a piping bag with a start tip. I used a #32 Wiltons tip.
- I made them in a swirl form and I ended up with about 2 dozen or so cookies.
- Place in the over for 40 to 45 minutes, until firm to the touch.
- Turn off the oven but keep the meringues inside the door closed for 1 hour.
- Remove the cookie sheet and let them cool off completely.
- Remove from cookie sheet and store in an air tight container or freeze bag.